Thursday, November 11, 2010

Day 11, Holiday Reviewarama JAPANESE CULTURE

Today’s recommendation comes from a desire to share something that changed my life. In 1991 when I graduated from university I had no idea what I would do other than write. I wanted to make a living sure but, my skills and talents were nowhere near what the real world wanted. I could write poems well, and I knew about history. Big deal. I’d sent out hundreds of resumes and frankly, I never was a great employee, but even with a college degree living in a place where that was rare, no one wanted me to even think about working for them. So I decided to take the time I had to reinvest in my self. I read hundreds of books and dove directly in to Japanese culture. Doing so gave me a mindset to address some issues I had, gave me a hope of how to use my skills and talents, and led me to getting accepted in Grad school where I finished a Master’s degree and led to further things down the road. I viewed my religious life, academic life, private life, sexual life all through a very different lens. And I am grateful to have done so.

So here are some works to consider if you wish to change your life similarly, or, just to give a fan of the culture something to smile about.

THE BOOK OF FIVE RINGS

Author link
Buy It




THE SWORD and THE MIND

Author link
Buy It



JAPANESE TEA CEREMONY

About the Ceremony
Buy It



THE SOLITUDE OF RAVENS

Photographer link
Try to Buy It

No comments: